Experiential Learning Program
Educating the Whole Child!
The Experiential Learning Program (ELP) started in 2015. It is a multi-age, highly academically rigorous, blended learning program. The ELP also focuses on collaboration and social-emotional growth.
· Experiential: Students learn through real-life experiences and projects. They apply for jobs, work for classroom money, learn time management and many other valuable life skills. In addition, students are immersed in simulations (or projects) to study history and science. Here are a few of our simulations: Flight, Invent, Peterson’s Pond, Pioneers, and Space Race.
· Multi-age: 4th - 6th graders enjoy a safe, community learning environment. We have a morning meeting every day to share ideas, process learning, do team building activities etc. Students are also taught at their instructional level for all core subjects. For example, a 4rd grader could be in a 5th grade reading group and a 4th grade math group. Having students of all ages together takes away the stigma of a child learning outside of his/her grade level.
· Academic Rigor: We have very high expectations and standards for academic growth. Students learn to manage their learning, create growth goals, and persevere to reach their goals. They are expected to work independently when they’re not learning in a small group.
· Blended Learning: Blended learning is using technology to enhance student learning. We utilize on-line curricula to supplement students’ academics. This allows students to learn at their own pace. It also customizes their learning experience.
· Collaboration: Students are encouraged to work together to solve problems creatively and accomplish learning tasks. A part of the collaboration process is to reflect on the experience. This enriches student communication and problem solving skills.
· Social-Emotional Growth: In addition to academic growth, we value and teach social-emotional skills because teaching to the whole child supports students’ success and growth.
If you are interested in ELP you must complete the Experiential Learning Program Interest Form (attached file) and return to Farmin Stidwell Elementary School between April 4th, 2023to May 6th, 2023 only. Due to high volume of interest we receive, we will base our enrollment decision on the following:
Completion of the Information Form (attachment below)
We will evaluate the availability of open spaces based on grade level student numbers.
Once grade level spaces are determined we conduct a lottery system to fill those grade level vacancies. You will be notified of the decision by May 31, 2023
Our goal is to create fair and equitable class sizes that benefit our students and staff. If you are selected through the lottery system, your child must be registered at Farmin Stidwell and have all paperwork completed by June 10th, 2023. If registration is not completed by this date your child will be dropped from the program.